How to prepare recipe for Coconut Cookies? This is one of my favorite cookies because it combines some of the flavors I love best. Shredded coconut gives them a nice chewy quality and dried cherries provide a dose of tartness. Makes 24 servings. Ingredients and simple directions:
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter or buttery spread, such as Earth Balance, at room temperature, but not melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups Carol’s Sorghum Blend
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutchprocess or alkali)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup gluten-free chocolate chips, such as Tropical Source
- ½ cup dried sweetened cherries
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place a rack in the lower-middle position and another in the upper-middle position of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Line two 15 × 10-inch baking sheets (not nonstick) with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until very smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sorghum blend, cocoa, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda and gradually beat into the egg mixture on low speed just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips, cherries, and coconut. Knead the dough with your hands a few times to make sure the chips, cherries, and coconut are thoroughly incorporated.
- Using a wet tablespoon or a #50 metal springaction ice cream scoop, drop 1½-inch balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheets, 12 per sheet. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the cookies slightly. Place one sheet on the lower-middle rack and another on the upper middle rack of the oven.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets between racks halfway through baking, or until the cookies are firm. Cool the cookies 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store, tightly covered, for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Follow this directions carefully. Hope you like Coconut Cookies and Bon Apetit.