Spring Risotto With Peas and Zucchini
Rich and creamy, risotto is Italian-style comfort food. imported Arborio rice makes the creamiest risotto. If your market doesn't have it, substitute medium- or long-grain white rice.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 pound)
- coarse salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat broth and 2 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan over low heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, Add zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until zucchini is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer zucchini to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion; cook until soft, 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Raise heat to medium. Add rice; cook, stirring, until translucent around edges, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine; cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup hot broth at a time (stir until almost all liquid is absorbed before adding more), until rice is tender, for 25 to 30 minutes total.
- Add zucchini and peas; cook until peas are bright green, 2 minutes,Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon butter and Parmesan.
- Serve, topped with more cheese.
This is a great way to use up all that extra zucchini you have! Turn it into pasta!
This dish is so good and easy!
- 4 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 lb Italian turkey sausage, cooked and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh basil, torn
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice clean, unpeeled zucchini into ribbons, using a vegetable peeler, and turning the zucchini as you go.
- Warm 1 TBSP olive oil in a saucepan, on medium heat.
- Saute the garlic briefly, and add tomatoes and oregano.
- Simmer uncovered for a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet. Add the zucchini.Stir for several minutes, until zucchini is soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the sauce.
- Add the sausage, stir well.
- Stir in basil, and transfer to a serving dish.Top up with Parmesan cheese.
Spanish Zucchini Pot
Flavourful low fat Spanish dish,great over Angel Hair Pasta or your favourite pasta or rice.
The key is flavor with garlic, peppers, spices added to cubed zucchini.
- 5 medium onion diced
- 3/4 Cup celery diced
- 1.5 Cup bell pepper chopped (assorted red, green, yellow, jalapeno)
- 8 cloves garlic (more or less to your taste)
- 5 Cup sliced carrots
- 3 medium zucchini cubed
- 15 oz can, Spanish style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 5 Cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- Chop all vegetables.
- Spray a large skillet or Dutch oven size pan with lid.
- Heat pan adding onion, celery, peppers, garlic to cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Continue to add other ingredients: tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, and spices.
- Bring to bubbling then reduce heat with lid on.
- Cook for about 30 minutes at simmering or until zucchini is done.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese when serving.
- Makes 5 servings, 1 Cup each.
- Makes a healty main dish served over pasta.
Roasted Zucchini and Yellow (Summer) Squash
Easy To Cook, Tastes good hot or cold and reheats well in the microwave (We Need It Some Time).
- 6 cups zucchini cut into large chunks
- 6 cups yellow squash cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Grease roasting pan with olive oil
- Chop zucchini and yellow squash and put into large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over squash. Mix with a large spoon until squash is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper over squash. Mix with a large spoon until squash is evenly coated.
- Pour squash onto roasting pan and spread it out until it evenly covers the pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes stirring once until cooked through.
- Makes 12 one cup servings but we usually eat 2 cups at a meal.
Zucchini And Tomatoes Dish
so good! Zesty and spicy and very tasty. The tomatoes really add to the flavour.
- 1 large fresh zucchini
- 1 can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, with parsley seasoning
- fresh basil
- fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- Pam butter-flavored cooking spray
- finely chop the onion.
- Slice the zucchini (not to thick).
- Saut? the zucchini with the onion, garlic.Add all your seasoning's.
- Saut? this for a few minutes in a pan sprayed with butter pam.
- Do not saut? too long as you do not want the zucchini soft.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer few minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve on plates adding Parmesan cheese on top.
Stuffed Zucchini With Ham & Cheese
A great summer side dish. Use medium-sized zucchini. You can prepare zucchini for baking up to 1 day ahead. Keep covered and refrigerated.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces lean smoked ham, minced
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 8 medium zucchini, horizontal top cut off
- Heat 1 oil tablespoons in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic.
- Saute until onion is soft and golden, about 9 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to medium bowl.
- Stir ham, breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup cheese, and parsley into onion mixture.
- Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in egg.Brush 13x9x2" glass baking dish with oil.
- Using melon baller or teaspoon, scoop pulp from zucchini, leaving 1/4" thick shell. Fill zucchini shells with stuffing; arrange in dish.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake in A preheated 350F degree oven uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Increase heat to 400F degrees. Bake until tender and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
Zucchini Lasagna (Lasagne)
Wow, It's tender and sweet and plain appetizing! My choosy kid LOVED it!
Great for anyone going on low carb
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick(about 2 medium)
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese (or low fat or fat free ricotta)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside.
- Fry, meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat.
- Add next 8 ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In a small bowl slightly beat egg.Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture.
- Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.